?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Zorba the Hutt's Journal

> recent entries
> calendar
> friends
> mandible games development journal
> profile

Tuesday, July 10th, 2001
1:04a - what if someone made a book like Mona Lisa?
You people write a lot. I have 34 new entries to read in under 24 hours! Not that I'm complaining, 'cause this means hearing a lot about people I like. But still :P I'm surprised that nobody posted in the time it took me to read 'em all and write a small ton of replies.

Someone online is talking about making games - standard formulaic questions. What do you need to make games? well, you need to know how to program, if you want to do it yourself. Okay, what *else* do you need? Ideas. He informs us that he knows physics, and . . . I can't get the appropriate intonation across without directly quoting. I think I'll copy'n'paste.

<kenalex> what does a person need other than experience in C++ to Make GAMES
<ant^^> drive to make 'em
<pheta> kenalex; ideas...
<ant^^> well I guess they also need a computer and ideas, but that's obvious :)
<kenalex> just that
<Han_Solo> it helps if you are good at physics
<kenalex> do mean the Matrix
<kenalex> I just complete A level Physics and Maths at college
<Han_Solo> kenalex, try taking an english class while at college
<kenalex> i got an A in English
<kenalex> have anyone seen the Matrix
* ant^^ has seen it, has the DVD even but no DVD player yet
<ZorbaTHut> kenalex, your college must give easy grades >_<
<kenalex> what if a person made a game like the Matrix
<ZorbaTHut> kenalex, movie-to-game ports don't work directly. it's impossible. they're different artforms.
<ant^^> Then people would say "hey, you're watching the Matrix!"
<ZorbaTHut> It's like saying, what if someone made a book like Mona Lisa?
<ant^^> exactly
<kenalex> nope i fail alot of the classes at first
<ant^^> A movie is a passive experience.
<ant^^> Then the book wouldn't be a book :)
<kenalex> then i understood the cocepts of physics
<ant^^> Make a game with a world similar looking to the Matrix world. But then, the movie is lost. It's not about the look of things so much as the plot and flow.
<ant^^> And a game that took only two hours for the player to complete wouldn't be taken well.
<kenalex> What if someone made a movie from TEKEN

. . . really, how do you deal with someone like this?

it's continuing from here - he's fixating on Tekken as we speak. (only spelling it with one k.) There are so many people who don't know what they're even remotely talking about who want to go into games . . . and some of them are at least going in for good reasons, i.e. "I like games". I mean, it's *something*. But we're starting to get people going in just for the money. I mean, work it out! Take one programmer, two artists, and a concept developer for a year - if you can sell a few hundred thousand copies, that's a lot of money. (not like it works that way.)

Note that I think kenalex isn't from the US, which excuses his not knowing English, but doesn't excuse the not knowing game theory :P

Something people often forget in my experience: Not being able to speak English well isn't always a sign that someone's a moron. Sometimes they're a very smart foreigner. Languages are tough.

Then again, those two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive :P

The one thing the Internet has successfully done is remove a *lot* of the ethnic barriers. The only one left is language - basically, as long as someone can speaking English more gooder than I can, I'm not likely to look down on them at all on first impressions. Even if not, I'm still not (unless they're doing things like spelling "what's your name?" with an "a/s/l"). Although a lot of people don't seem to realize this - I've been accused a racist once for banning someone annoying online. (apparently he was black. how was I supposed to know? he was still annoying.)

The one *nice* thing about the internet - "Yeah. You're black. Good for you. Want a permban?" "I'll sue you!" "Go right ahead, you have no case." - there's no guarantee of use. None at all. If we were to ban everyone from Indonesia, say, well, that's just tough - the Indonesians must have done something really really annoying en masse. (in fact, that channel *does* have Indonesia banned for some reason - I don't know why.) It's back to the old statement of full ownership - we own this channel. It is ours. If we care to only let certain groups in, well, that's just too bad for the other people . . . and since we're nice people, we only ban with reason. (I do not know why Brazilians tend to be annoying - but they do. Then again, so do AOLers, who are also banned, along with their Swedish equivalent.)

. . . anyway. I probably ought to drop into the conversation and restore a little order in the channel, it's degenerating into chaos. I wonder who's going to accuse me of being racist? . . . yet everything I said is based in fact . . . there was an insane flood of annoying Brazilians a year back. Everywhere. I'm not making this up - some guy would join a channel and start spamming in flashing technicolor. So we'd ban him. Hostmask would end with .br. Eventually a lot of channels just gave up and banned Brazilians :P

anyway. end rant. Since I personally don't own any IRC channels of any note, I can't remove the big bans, only enforce and monitor, and add small bans. (and remove small bans.)

(2 comments |comment on this)

3:26a - superliminal advertising
A few days ago, I brought up the old tried-and-true discussion - if subliminal advertising is advertising that's totally unnoticed but very effective, then what would superliminal advertising be? Usually there are a few comments back and forth - advertising that's so obvious that you totally ignore it? Like the sound stage in the first Star Trek movie. (For those who don't know, there's a very dramatic scene in which - at one point - the camera zooms back far enough to see a good half of the sound stage holding the set in place. It's so obvious that nobody ever sees it. Look for just after Kirk leaves the airlock in the spacesuit. It's best if you watch the entire scene from where Spock leaves.) From the definition I have up there, the answer would be advertising that's in your face constantly and is utterly ignored.

Someone pointed out to me that we already have this, though.

They're called Internet ads.

C'mon, how often do you actually notice them? Studies have shown (no, I can't quote any) that humans have literally filtered out Internet ads - that 468x50 pixel space at the top of webpages is totally ignored. Like, even more ignored than ignoring it - it doesn't even register subconsciously anymore. You have to point it out to people. Same with popups - it's a reflexive close at this point.

So there we have it - ads that are so obvious that nobody bothers to pay attention.

Superliminal advertising.

And to finish the entry, I demonstrate the Internal American that all of us share . . .

<qdawgy> i heard the computer industry isn't doing so well in some places...stock market crashing left and right
<ZorbaTHut> yeah. stupid republicans.
<ZorbaTHut> grrr :P
<ZorbaTHut> all republicans are evil!
<ZorbaTHut> and intolerant people should all be SHOT! without even a trial!
<ZorbaTHut> GRRRRR! I'm an american, and I'm always right!
<ZorbaTHut> okay, okay, that's out of my system :P

And kirub says I'm funny and nice. I never expect people to randomly compliment me . . . and yes, we must talk more often! pity I'm so consistently busy at sane hours :/

now, if I can only find someone to call me cute . . . ;)

(or sexy. hey, that would work. wouldn't exactly complain.)


current mood: happy

(13 comments |comment on this)

8:02p - how do you help someone who doesn't want to be cheered up?
And if you're the person I'm referring to, you might not want to read this :P

Someone on my list posted about how they were very depressed. This is perfectly fine, I'm used to it, she's the second today - I help people who are depressed because I know full well I owe my friends who helped me. And because I want to. I have no complaints about this, except about the whole thing of why-does-this-need-to-happen-in-the-first-place. (The single biggest argument against a beneficial God that I can see - that all the nice people are depressed, and all the cruel people are happy . . . ) But anyway.

See, what they posted wasn't just that they were depressed. It was that they wanted to stay that way. And that's why they disabled comments - because they didn't want anyone to try to cheer them up, because they just wanted to live with it.

I can respect this and understand this perfectly well - anyone who knows about me breaking up with my ex knows that one of the things I've tried to keep is accurate memories about what happened. I don't want to villianize her. Things happened which were my mistake, and I want to bear the pain of them, because it's my pain to bear.

But there's a point where that becomes bad. I post saying this, and I know full well that someone might say "you really shouldn't bear that pain". And I don't care, because it's my pain. But if I was also posting about how I thought I was a terrible person, about how I hated myself . . . that's going too far. Because I know (well, I know right now - this is one of those things that changes rapidly :P) that I'm not. That I made a mistake, but fundamentally I'm a good person, and there's a difference between holding the pain and expanding it.

And at the end she starts doing just that - calls herself petty and jealous, and says that she can't help anyone, and that she hasn't amounted to anything. And that's not true. She's got 30 friends on LJ alone, and I know she has friends in real life too. She's a nice person . . .

But how do I say that? I mean, I *could* just go ahead and tell her in a previous entry, or tell her on AIM, but . . . should I, even?

A manager says to an employee, I want you to buy two dozen flanged whatsises. Only don't buy from Whatco, because their whatsises are low quality. The employee does a little research, and finds out that Whatco changed suppliers to the world-leading manufacturer of flangeds whatsises the day before because they were tired of selling low-quality material, and they still have lower prices and better support than anyone else. So he tries to call the manager up and tell him, but the manager isn't available . . .

So what do you do? Ignore their desires because the situation isn't what they thought, or respect their desires even though you think they're wrong?

And how do you know *you're* not wrong?

Of course, I don't, and I'm avoiding the entire issue by writing this post and saying at the very top "if you don't want to hear it, don't read this." And feeling a bit bad because I know if it was me, I'd read it anyway. Even if I didn't want to be cheered up. And so that, in some way, I'm going ahead and trying to cheer her up even though she says she doesn't want to be.

ah well.

what can you do?


current mood: uncertain

(3 comments |comment on this)


<< previous day [calendar] next day >>
> top of page
LiveJournal.com