One problem we're having is that we're planning to drastically increase the number and quality of textures in this game. Unfortunately, that means much larger texture files. To the point where we've got to cut about 30% off our average texture, bytewise, while still preserving quality.
Well, I remembered a nice texture compression method I'd seen a while back, and I dug it out. I think it's going to work pretty well - our old texture system, with a bunch of optimizations, gets around 4.3 bits per pixel. Without optimizations, this one has great quality at under 3 bits per pixel, which is exactly what we want, and I've got a ton of optimization ideas that should be able to crop it *much* further down.
Not only that, but decompression speed is blindingly fast - to the point where it caps on disc access instead of CPU. Which rocks.
On the other hand . . . the old texture *compression* method can do a 1024x1024 texture in about a second.
The new one takes about four minutes.
*watches build times go through the roof*