Zorba the Hutt (zorbathut) wrote,
Zorba the Hutt

journey prime: may 21st, friday, through may 22nd, saturday, with a little waffling on both sides

Actually, this entry starts on the 20th.

On the 20th, I got to my aunt's house, chatted, ate food, and went to sleep.

Now you see why I started it on the 21st.

I had two main reasons for visiting my aunt's house. One was, obviously, to see my aunt and my cousin Rocky. The other was to get my car tuned and learn how to do it myself in the future - Rocky's a pretty good mechanic and had offered to help. Unfortunately he was busy on the 21st so I basically chatted, ate food, and went to sleep then also.

It was HOT.

Like, major heat wave. And humid - where you think it's probably going to rain but it hasn't quite managed it yet. So I basically tried to stretch out in the shade (next to the laziest cat on earth - I swear that cat moved no less than half a dozen times in the entire weekend I was there, and one of those times it was carried) and stay cool. Which I failed at miserably.

The house was pretty. It's near Princeton, basically in the middle of nowhere - you have to drive about five minutes to get to another house nearby, which is pretty impressive for New Jersey. Although there is that shriner's temple next door. Anyway. It's a tiny little house next to a creek, and I'm told the creek once had frogs, and now it's polluted and has tires. Such is life.

All of this occupied me for about two hours.

Let's just say I'm glad I had a lot of books on my PDA, and I'm glad I had Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (which I will beat someday, I promise.)

On Saturday we went to get parts, got all the standard tuneup equipment (distributor cap, spark plugs, fan belt, etc) then came back and installed them all, and then discovered that the car no longer ran as well. Where "no longer ran as well" is defined as "maxed out at 40mph and skipped cylinders randomly." I'm going to skip several hours of confusion and troubleshooting here and skip to the discovery that the distributor coil no longer was generating much of a spark - my theory is that it had been degenerating since New York.

Now, for reasons I'm not going to get into, I'd actually replaced my coil the *last* time I was in NJ also. So we called up the place we'd gotten them before and said "hi, we need a coil". They said they didn't have one.

This was confusing. The last time we'd gotten one, they'd insisted a generic part would work. This time, they said it was the wrong part. So my theory is that they did, in fact, sell me the wrong part, and it just picked precisely the wrong time to die. So it goes. And since there was no longer any time to call other people, we waited until Sunday, and that night wasn't any cooler than the nights before.

Yes, this entry continues to Sunday. Deal with it.

Luckily, we *did* manage to find a coil on Sunday (after calling about six different places), installed it, and tada, it worked fine again (as fine as it ever did).

There was only one problem. We hadn't managed to adjust the timing. The distributor was literally rusted in, and Volvo distributors that old have to be ordered, you can't just run down and pick one up. We couldn't get it free without risking destroying it, and if it was destroyed I wouldn't have a car for a few days. And I had people in Oberlin I had to see.

So I weighed my options and continued on my journey, going back up north to NYS and then heading west.
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.