I should probably get this done before I finish another game.
What Went Right and What Went Wrong
This was a very focused game. I started working on gameplay and I pretty much ended working on gameplay. There’s no graphics, no sound, and the game does suffer from it a bit. The gizmos started to look too similar – many of them are based on the same texture, only differently textured and shaped, and that really isn’t enough. They should look more different and they should stand out better than they do, the wall texture is just too distracting.
The gameplay I think I pretty much nailed. Or, rather, I nailed it as much as I could within a week. I’m actually still coming up with ways to mathematically describe the levels, and I think I could make even more interesting game layouts. I managed to abuse Lua in some exciting ways that I hadn’t done before, and it turned out really really well – I’m finally getting my dev environment set up so I can do extremely complex stuff easily, and that is just damn cool.
The Bottom Line
I continue to be excited about this game, and this is one of the few that I’ve felt possibly worthy of being fleshed out into something bigger. That said, I’ve got like two other games queued up before I’ll have a chance to come back to it, possibly more. So we’ll see! We’ll see.
It’s on the Short List.